(Remake of Marinated Vegetables with Salad Greens)
You won’t miss the canned vegetables from this original recipe! Using kale instead of canned green beans adds a fresher flavor. Swapping onion for shallots and white wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar ensure a bright pop of flavor. You’ll get the original pimiento taste from this medley when you serve these greens on top of pimiento cheese grits!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots
- 6 garlic gloves
- 2 bunches of kale
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- While the garlic and shallots cook, wash and strip kale from stems.
- Remove the pan from heat and slowly add the vinegar to the garlic/shallot mixture.
- Return the pan to heat and add washed and torn kale to the pan one handful at a time.
- Stir until the kale starts to wilt.
- Repeat with the remaining kale in two more batches.
- Add a pinch of cayenne if desired.
- Cover and cook, stirring often until tender, approximately 8-10 minutes.Remove the warmed pimiento cheese grits from the oven. Top grits with wilted greens before serving.